[arin-ppml] 2009-1 comment

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Thu May 28 12:27:15 EDT 2009

I have a minor issue with A, in that it's overbroad. I can understand limiting transfers between the same two parties to reduce abuses of the policy, but I don't see the value in limiting one party from receiving transfers from several different parties if they have justifiable need for the space and the resources to get it, or limiting one party from transferring blocks to several different parties if that's how they end up becoming available. It's quite possible that some parts of a block can be freed much more easily than others, and will lead to phased transfers. Rate-limiting them simply puts an artificial delay in making more blocks available for use.

Also, while I don't have a problem with a holding period, I completely oppose the language giving general requests precedence over directed transfers in E. It's simply not going to make things any more fair.
The idea behind the directed transfers is to offset the costs incurred by freeing those blocks to be reused. I understand that you're trying to prevent a speculation market and sale of/profiting from IP assets, or this becoming a market for haves vs have nots, but this would essentially eliminate any incentive to complete any but the most basic (i.e. cheap or no cost to complete) efforts to free up unused space in the first place. The standard "good internet citizens don't hoard IPv4 space they're not using" argument isn't going to cause companies to spend real time and money freeing up space instead of simply sitting on it and letting the chips fall where they may. Therefore the result will be less space available for reallocation for the whole community, not more space available for which "the little guy" can now compete fairly (bankrolled by those companies with deeper pockets).

Thanks,
Wes