[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process- revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Dec 17 08:24:04 EST 2009

On Dec 16 2009, Owen DeLong wrote:

>On Dec 16, 2009, at 5:32 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>> The primary limit is still going to be the fee structure, and it
>> probably should be, but we need something to deal with those that
>> have more money than sense.  You might say if they want to waste
>> there money, let them.  However, this will create inequities that is
>> easy for people to criticize, and if it gets bad enough it will
>> create problems.
>>
>Indeed.  However, it might not be an issue of more money than sense...
>It might be an issue of more greed than anticipated.

That is another possible explanation. I was trying to follow Halon's Razor,
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."

>> These are all simple enough, I could tell a pointy haired boss, an
>> accountant, maybe even a congressman or a political appointee too,
>> and for sure my grandma.  They would all nod and would at least seem
>> to understand what I am talking about.  Talking to any of them about
>> a HD-Ratios would make their heads explode or my teetotaling grandma
>> to get a good stiff belt of grampa's whiskey.
>>
>I'm really not convinced that these are the metrics we should use to
>judge whether a proposal is good policy.
>Internet addressing is a technical field requiring a certain amount of
>expertise. There is no reason that address
>policy should not incorporate that expertise or be written to some
>certain minimal level of it.
>
>Just as there is no expectation that the FDA could perform its duties
>without medical experts, nor, is there
>an expectation that drug laws do not contain medical terms that may
>not be easily understood by lay persons.

Personally, I believe true expertise is demonstrated by explaining a
complicated subject in terms that a lay person can understand.

Furthermore, not only has "needs basis" been a fundamental tenet of
Internet resource allocation since the beginning, "KISS" has been a concept
that historically permeates the Internet architecture.

I find it difficult to reconcile HD Ratios and KISS, but that could be a
personal failing of my own.