[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 RecoveryFund

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Apr 13 17:45:18 EDT 2009

On 13 Apr 2009 Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> DO you really want people publically bitching because 2 months
> ago an IPv4 block they bought today for $500 was going for
> $200 and they feel cheated?  Or they buy that $500 block then
> a week later the published "index" shows the price down to
> $400 because someone turned in a /8 they didn't need anymore?

I'd be happy to set up an mail filter to auto respond to people
bitching about IPv4 pricing and variability with convert to IPv6
and your problem goes away.

So, YES, this is exactly what I think we what, IPv4 addresses
generally trending to more expensive but with a high degree a
variability in the pricing.

> We need to be encouraging people to go to IPv6.  Publicizing the
> current "bounty" for free IPv4 just draws attention to
> IPv4 at the expense of IPv6.  If members of the community think
> that ARIN's non-publically-disclosed pricing is unfair, then
> I have a simple solution for them - don't buy IPv4.

I disagree, publicizing that it is expensive and risky to stick with
IPv4 would help drive people toward the stability and generally
lower cost of IPv6.

> Ted

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818