[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Apr 6 23:15:05 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Holder A has his IP numbers purely due to his requesting the numbers on the basis of need.  In other words, the numbers were never "his" to give.  He's "renting" the use of them, just like you would rent a car.  We all would like renumeration for returning our rental cars, but that's not what we agreed to when we rented the car.

OTOH, AmEx is reportedly paying some of its customers hundreds of
dollars to turn in their cards, and I doubt that was in the original
contract...

> If ARIN decides for whatever reason - maybe they got tipped off by a signed deposition from a former employee of Holder A that the original basis of obtaining the numbers was a lie - then ARIN should have the authority to pull the numbering.

ARIN already has the power to revoke resources that were obtained
fraudulently or are no longer justified; see NRPM section 12.

Do not confuse lack of justification with lack of need; we have already
addressed the former, so a liberalized transfer policy only addresses
the latter.