[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Wed Sep 3 09:48:30 EDT 2008

Mapping the space is a good start.  Thank you for proposing it.

Keeping the dimensions of this as nearly orthogonal as possible should
help. I propose factoring your #2 and #3 into these two:

2. IPv6 will eventually succeed, because of the inadequacy of IPv4
addressing to support the growth of the Internet.

3. How should the resulting scarcity of routable IPv4 addresses be
managed, with arbitrary administrative rules, or with constrained
transfers?

I would also add, because it seems to be the elephant in the room,

4. How much burden on the routing infrastructure (DFZ) would be
produced by the de-aggregation that would result from a transfer
policy?  For example, is the constraint that transfers must be within
the space administered by a single RIR necessary?

John