[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: EquitableDistributionofIPv4Resources before IPv4 Run out

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 22 15:58:02 EDT 2008

Legally, ARIN cannot say they are charging for IP addresses
because we are trying to maintain the legal definition that IP
addresses are not property, for many reasons that I fully support.

However, from a non-legal, man-in-the-street perspective, there
is no difference between saying your charging for registration
services and saying your charging for IP addresses on a per-IP
basis.  Your still charging money, we are still paying money.
We get more IP from you we pay more money.

The poster's claim that "if ARIN charged on a per-IP basis
there would be a lot of free IPv4" is thus bogus from a man-in-the
street perspective, because effectively, ARIN -is- doing that,
yet we do not have plentiful IPv4.

> > In case you were, here is the ARIN fee schedule:
> >
> > http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html
> >
> > Fees per IP address:
>
> The fees are not set per IP address.  The fees are based on
> size categories, which are rough groupings based on total
> allocation block size.  Annual fees are different for ISPs
> and end user organizations.

Once more, it makes no difference.  When you buy gasoline you
buy it in the per-gallon basis, not the per pint basis.  Yet,
your lawnmower takes only a pint of gas in it's tank, your
model airplane only takes a teaspoon of gas, cleaning grease
with a rag off your driveway only takes a few drops of gas,
etc. etc.  Each of those actions consumes gas, which can be
measured by the number of pennies of gas is consumed, or
by the rougher groupings of the number of dollars of gas is
consumed.

Ted