[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Davis, Terry L terry.l.davis at boeing.com
Thu Jul 12 17:11:35 EDT 2007

John Paul

Probably yes and no as to the connectivity to the global Internet; the requirement for security and the need to do business often clash harshly  I just don't see any ISP telling their local power company or hospital that they will no longer carry their IPv4 traffic.  And don't forget that government (rightly or wrongly) will get involved in that type of issue; my experience is that "politics and technology make poor bedfellows" as the outcome is not usually what either wants.  From ages ago, in the very early phases of my career, I still know where there is a major US highway in the southern US that has a very large "dog leg" in it to preserve "Granma's walnut tree".  (And yea, 35 years ago I was civil engineering student designing highways not networks; I'm still registered as a PE in three states and can still approve civil designs in them.)

It may be true about the difference in "end of life" and conceivably the legacy v4 could be tunneled across a v6 Internet, but only time will tell how it evolves.

We just have no way to rip IPv4 out of everyplace we have put it; embedded control systems are really not "upgradeable"!

Take care
Terry