[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Sun Jul 8 17:04:23 EDT 2007

There has been a lot of reference to RFC 2050 for address assignment
requirements and how we legacy people are under those requirements.  RFC
2050 was issued in Nov 1996 and superseded RFC 1466 (May of 1993) which
referenced RFC 1174 (Aug 1990) which appears to be the first to
officially discuss address assignments.  If you look at
http://www.bdb.com/~cliffb/bdb_netreg.jpg, you'll see a copy of my
address assignment which was issued in March of 1990.  Not being funny,
I don't think any of those RFCs apply to me.  The assignment letter was
a nice simple document in keeping with the times but there was no
mention of requirements, usage and rules  regarding revocation, fees etc.

Having said that, I can see benefits to being an ARIN member.  If ARIN
can develop an RSA that says we'll charge you a nominal non-changing fee
and not try to take your address space way as long as you continue to
use it. Further, if ARIN is absorbed or otherwise changed, the agreement
remains in place unchanged or is rendered null and void and we're back
to legacy status. ( to avoid ICANN/NetSol problems)  Do I really want to
spend the money?  Of course not, but I think it would probably be
reasonable to contribute to the operation of ARIN.  I much prefer the
way ARIN is run over the DNS debacle.  I feel like I've made a pact with
the devil every time I have to go through the DNS renewal process.

I've been quite impressed with most of the discussions and attitudes
here and even though I don't grasp all the nuances of some of the
arguments, I'm learning  I obviously disagree with those who think ARIN
should in some way force legacy users to join but strongly agree with
those who want to invite us to join. I don't think you have a leg to
stand on to make us join or take the addresses but if you approach us in
a reasonable manner, I think you'll get a reasonable number to join.

I'd like to claim I was smart enough to have done this all on my own
back then but I got some good advice from people at the University of
Maryland and the DC DEC Unilug so thanks to Mike Petry, Louis Mamakos
and Fred Avolio.  Their advice and guidance has stood the test of time.

Cliff Bedore
cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com http://www.bdb.com
Amateur Radio Call Sign W3CB For info on ham radio, http://www.arrl.org/