[ppml] Summary of Trial Balloons for Dealing with IPv4 AddressCountdown

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri Apr 20 22:02:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:21:30PM -0400, Andy Davidson wrote:
> A big routing table is bad, we all agree.  Running out of v4 is
> really really bad.

Indeed.  You can always make/add more memory/processor.  It may be
excessively difficult and expensive (or ruinous to your business), but
you can.  Making more address space...well, that's a bit harder if you
want it to be globally routed.

I actually work with two different carriers (who will remain anonymous)
who have large internal backbones.  One uses 95/8 and the other uses
100/8.  (I don't know why.)  They have the opinion that it doesn't
matter that it's not their space, since they don't touch the global
Internet.  (At least not with that network.)  The problem is that I do,
and I touch them.  It makes for either some messy NAT or messy routing
policy.  (The former is not always possible.)  You really can't make
more space, no matter how hard you try. :)

-David