[ppml] 2005-1 or its logical successor

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 14:13:29 EST 2005

Tony,

As much as I think that geographical addressing could be a good idea,
networks aren't routed geographically. The interconnections aren't there to
make aggregation per your RFC feasible. I believe that currently there is as
much geography taken into account as can be. The RIRs get blocks for their
regions. Some aggregation could be done at that level depending on how
things are connected together. I do not believe that assigning PI space per
your rfc will gain us anything that assigning PI blocks per region out of a
known PI block won't do. You refer in your note to aggregating the further
from the source. Unfortunately "distance" is assessed on how far
topologically in a provider network the traffic travels, not necessariliy on
how far it goes geographically.

---Cathy