[ppml] 2005-1 or its logical successor

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon Oct 31 19:51:08 EST 2005

Cathy,

When you look too closely you can't see the forest for the trees. Yes on a
fine grained scale topology is not currently limited by geography. On a
global scale there are very few paths between major regions. The totally
random interconnect model is not a technical requirement; it is a business
choice that directly impacts the global routing system. People are
complaining about the size of the routing table, but that table could be
contracted by restricting topology.

All of that misses the point though. Today we don't want to think about
restricting topology. I was not suggesting that by using a geo method for PI
would actually change anything in the short term. As long as everyone that
gets PI has a real global routing slot it really doesn't matter how those
are handed out. The point of the note was to look at the option that PI be
allocated such that down the road if the decision about random interconnects
changed we would have the option to aggregate out many of those PI prefixes
that are not necessary in the 'local' context where local is truly defined
by operators/policy makers in any given space. Structured interconnects have
a different business model than we are currently operating under, but they
do have substantial impact on the size of the routing system.

There is no reason for ARIN to even bother with evaluating 'need' or
'appropriate use' of PI space as long as there is a way for providers to
aggregate out the ones that have not paid enough to support a global slot.
Most small/home multi-homers would be perfectly happy with failover between
local providers in a city. Trying to set a threshold of number of
hosts/subnets to get PI space is strictly about trying to limit the routing
table size. That is not ARIN's problem, it is the provider's problem. ARIN
has a role in that the assignments need to be done in a way that allows the
providers to do the aggregation.

Tony

  _____