[ppml] Technical error was ( Regarding private residence... )

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Mon Oct 24 11:13:26 EDT 2005

Good example, but seems to me that the answer could be to
list Lee in VA or the ISP; either one is valid, and it's a
local decision.

> > People did, which is why there's a bulk whois policy.
>
> That is an awfully weak response. ARIN has always made
> bulk whois data available. But ARIN has never accepted that
> statistical analysis is a justification for collecting whois
> data. And ARIN has never asked "What statistical information
> is useful to researchers and is it justified to collect such
> statistical info?". People hunting down spammers are not the
> only "researchers" out there. It is my understanding that
> the bulk whois policy is just ensuring that people which had
> access to the existing data, continue to have access.

My understanding is different.  I recall several people offering
examples of research other than spam vigilantes.

> --Michael Dillon
>
> P.S. the whole "private residence" issue is still based on
> a flawed assumption. Hiding the street address is not sufficient
> to provide privacy when a postal code is in the directory.

Agreed, and I remember you raising the point when the policy
was discussed, and I agreed then.  Is it enough to say "Postal
code optional for residences" or do we need to prohibit,
politically or systematically, ZIP when street is like
"residence."

Lee