[ppml] Technical error was ( Regarding private residence... )

Samuel Weiler weiler at tislabs.com
Thu Oct 27 14:54:10 EDT 2005

I concur with the observation that including postal code effectively
destroys the privacy intended by policy 2003-3, "Residential Customer
Privacy".  I interpret 2003-3 to allow suppression of all physical
address information, up to and including country.  If ARIN's
interpretation is otherwise, I'd like to hear a clear statement of
that.  For reference:  http://arin.net/policy/proposals/2003_3.html

Furthermore, policy 2003-3 also allows the customers' name to be
suppressed, and the recommendation, if any, should reflect that.

And going back to the original complaint, I have no objection to ARIN
encouraging the suppression of residential registrant information.
In fact, I think that's a very good idea.  Keeping the phone book
analogy, most folks know that their phone number may be listed in the
phone book and, if nothing else, they receive a copy of the phone book
every year to remind them of that directory's existence.  Absent that
cultural expectation, I think it's better to default to suppression.

-- Sam