[ppml] Big numbers

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:18:48 EDT 2003

Brian,

Of course I can recall when the thought of needing more than 256k of RAM and
20MB hardrives was unimaginable and then how could we ever run out of
addresses with over 4 billion in v4.... the issue is always we can't imagine
the need when we establish the standard.  The pain of transition from v4 to
v6 is going to me long and intense... the only thing worse than no standard
is a widely deployed, but obsolete standard.

Would you have guessed in 1982 that GPS would direct cruise missiles to
targets within feet over hundreds of miles?  Would you have believed that as
a standard feature of higher-end automobiles you would have navigation and
interactive voice technologies or even the pervasiveness of wireless PDAs?
Did you plan to have access to email and millions of webservers around the
globe in 1982?  The Internet and global communications is just beginning.
It took 15 years for PCs and Networks to be truely integrated into
businesses.  It will take a similar time period to understand the potential
for the Internet.  Massive integration of systems will demand unique
addressing and massively integrated systems are a certainty because
automating processes is reliable and inexpensive ways to manage complexity.

NAT is obtrusive and costly because it requires human intervention and it
precludes important technologies today.

In 20 or even years when the world or communications integration has
matured, who is to say what the needs will be. Security may always be a
limiting factor for exposure of systems globally, but I doubt it.
Why make the same mistakes we made with earlier estimates of need?  We have
evidence that resources are not inexhaustable and that the pain of
transitions are disruptive and ugly.  Why set ourselves uf for it yet again
with a communication vehicle which will be orders of magnitude more embedded
and pervasive...running unimaginably important systems.... let's not have to
change again, because the ease of waste seemed correct in the face of an
inexhaustable address space.

IMHO.

Bill Darte
ARIN AC