[arin-discuss] Implementing IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 27 15:48:42 EST 2013

On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:51 AM, John Von Essen <john at quonix.net> wrote:

> I dont know why this thread keeps going. IPv6 implementation is SO easy.
>
> Step 1: Call your BGP peers and ask them to give you dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 and setup an IPv6 BGP session.
> Step 2: Configure the WAN link on your routers with dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 and assign the IPv6 address given to you by your BGP peers.
> Step 3: Add the BGP session info for v6
> Step 4: Add your v6 advertisements
> Step 5: Your DONE

Interesting… As much as I am an IPv6 proponent, this doesn't quite cut it.

You claim you are "DONE", yet:

1.	None of your DNS servers are yet answering queries on IPv6.
2.	None of your Web or Mail servers are yet reachable via IPv6.
3.	None of your services have AAAA records in DNS.
4.	None of your monitoring systems are looking out for failures on IPv6.
5.	None of your engineers, help desk, or users are trained on IPv6.
6.	None of your procedures have been updated to account for IPv6.
7.	None of your legacy "won't ever do IPv6" systems have been dealt with.

While IPv6 implementation isn't hard and most of the early steps are pretty easy, a complete implementation does take some time and some thought. That's one of the reasons we are pushing so hard for people to deploy now, before the sky has completely fallen on IPv4 so that we have working IPv6 by the time it does.

Owen