[arin-discuss] Implementing IPv6

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Fri Feb 22 12:07:59 EST 2013

On 02/22/2013 08:32, Kerry L. Kriegel wrote:
> We received our /32 IPv6 block from ARIN awhile back but before we could
> do anything with it we needed to do some hardware / IOS upgrades on our
> backbone.  We got enough of that finished last week that we decided to
> “roll out” IPv6 and see how things looked.
>
> After a couple days of trouble shooting why none of the engineers in our
> data center could reach their Hurricane Electric Tunnel networks at home
> (and vice versa),  I stopped looking at our backbone and started looking
> at Google.

I assumed you looked at Google as a search engine and not Google as a
service provider.  (I was confused at first by your mention of Google...)

> It appears that the squabble started in 2009 between Cogent and HE is
> still in progress.  I was wondering if anyone on this list had any
> “inside” information about the problem and whether or not there was an
> end in sight.

I doubt it: Not in the timeframe that you will want to roll out IPv6.

> It seems to me that having a disconnect between two major
> players is going to hinder IPv6 adaptation.

Not really.  Most networks have multiple transit providers and/or
settlement-free peers (you need multiple providers for basic redundancy
anyway), and those providers and peers increasingly support IPv6.  So,
you just need to make sure that your transit providers put together can
get you a full IPv6 route table.  Peering disputes happen in IPv4 as
well, and this also protects you against that sort of issue.

I think that applications/management/security is still harder in IPv6
than getting the routing right, although security support is rapidly
getting better.

michael