[arin-discuss] ARIN as a public interest business

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:49:38 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> PPML to BCC, arin-discuss added.
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> Larger providers want fees to stay the same or higher? You're very
>> wrong about that. Very wrong. Noone wants to pay higher fees,
>> especially when ARIN has $30 million in cash sitting in the bank not
>> working for the members in a way that we want it to work for us.
>
> Marty -
>
> What level of long-term reserves do you consider appropriate for ARIN?
>
> The Board has discussed this on several occasions, deciding that having
> at least one years operating budget (approx ~$16B) in long-term reserve
> is prudent, and that even 1 1/2 years would be reasonable given the level
> of potential changes faced by the organization.

Slide 7 of the financial report presented by the treasurer in the
Member Meeting in Philadelphia this past October shows an approved
budget of $10,374,849.00. Did I read that wrong? Did funding for 2012
really rise by $6M?

> Our financial reserves as of Dec 2011 were:
>
>  $ 2.0 million Legal Reserve,
>  $ 2.8 million Operating Reserve
>  $19.4 million Long-Term Reserve

Slide 11 of the financial report presented by the treasurer in the
Member Meeting in Philadelphia this past October shows a reserve
balance of $25.2 million.

> At this point, we have sufficient reserves for unforeseen circumstances;
> this level also allows us room to consider restructuring of fees if that
> is desired by the members.

I guess you're agreeing. I can't tell though.

Best,

-M<