[arin-discuss] ARIN as a public interest business

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 23 10:05:28 EST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> PPML to BCC, arin-discuss added.
>
> Bill,
>
> Larger providers want fees to stay the same or higher? You're very
> wrong about that. Very wrong. Noone wants to pay higher fees,
> especially when ARIN has $30 million in cash sitting in the bank not
> working for the members in a way that we want it to work for us.

Marty -

What level of long-term reserves do you consider appropriate for ARIN?

The Board has discussed this on several occasions, deciding that having
at least one years operating budget (approx ~$16B) in long-term reserve
is prudent, and that even 1 1/2 years would be reasonable given the level
of potential changes faced by the organization.

Our financial reserves as of Dec 2011 were:

  $ 2.0 million Legal Reserve,
  $ 2.8 million Operating Reserve
  $19.4 million Long-Term Reserve

At this point, we have sufficient reserves for unforeseen circumstances;
this level also allows us room to consider restructuring of fees if that
is desired by the members.

FYI,
/John

John Curran