[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Alan Batie alan at peak.org
Mon Sep 13 18:49:36 EDT 2010

On 9/13/10 11:32 AM, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> Anyone in this position should simply assign a /48 to every customer site
> no matter how big or small. A one bedroom apartment gets a /48. A
manufacturing
> plant with 5 buildings including a 4-story office block, gets a /48.
> No exceptions.
>
> Later, when you have learned more, you might want to shift to only give
> a /56 to residential customers if there is a good business reason, but
> you are more likely to conclude that there is only a reason for large
> ISPs to introduce this complexity.

I like to have my cake and eat it to: if you give /48, it's gone.  If
you give /56, using 1 bits from the left (reserving the first 4 bits: 1
customer block, 1 us block, 14 in reserve), you have a sparse allocation
that, if the customer needs /48, you can easily expand them into by
shrinking the netmask.  Eventually the bits from the left will run into
the bits from the right, but by that time, we'll have a lot more
experience with the subject.  If we need more /56's, we'll have them. Up
until that point, if people turn out to need /48's (or more!), no problem.