[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Sep 13 18:29:25 EDT 2010

On 13/09/10 14:17 -0600, Mike Lieberman wrote:
>Quite frankly what I don't get is why anyone thinks that consumers want
>public numbers inside their home/LANs.  Once my customers understood the
>benefit of hiding behind a NAT, they embraced it quite emphatically.

There are many benefits, but one benefit that really hits at the heart of
NAT is ip address namespace collisions. I expect to see lots of services
pop-up in a post NAT world where 3rd party vendors are supplying appliances
to my customers that have no need for internet access per se, only in so
far as to establish an IPSec connection to that 3rd party vendor's network
to provide a service.

Assigning unique addressing to devices in a network can have benefits
beyond public access to that device.

>Just because we have the numbers does not mean we should distribute them.

That actually sounds pretty risky to me, as a business decision, in a
competitive service provider environment.

--
Dan White