[arin-discuss] Does ARIN eat it's own dog food with regards to IPv6?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed May 26 12:04:31 EDT 2010

> And, conversely, it should explicitly call out if you connected via
> IPv4, and mention that you need to get your network running IPv6 (with
> links to appropriate resources).

Now that is a good idea. In addition to pointing people at stuff like
http://www.getipv6.info it should also point to the various official
announcement texts that ARIN has made regarding v4 runout and v6.

And for everybody to see, add a DHS style "threat level" using the same
words
as DHS uses, Severe, High, Elevated, Guarded, Low. Come up with a
formula
to give a threat level as a number between 0 and 99. Then 40-59 would
mean
Elevated and be displayed in Yellow. I would expect that the threat
level
would start out somewhere in the Yellow area today.

The formula should increase the threat as we get closer to Geoff Hustons
last
prediction, increase it as the IANA pool decreases (i.e. every time they
give
out a /8), and decrease it based on a moving ratio of IPv6 unique
addresses versus
IPv4 unique addresses accessing the ARIN site. Then display a pointer
that is
positioned based on the 0-99 number so that even when visitors see the
same color,
they will notice that the pointer has moved.

Given ARIN's role as provider of IPv6 addresses to all network
operators, I
believe that it is appropriate to call such an indicator a "threat
level" even
though the threat is harder to pin down because it means chaos,
confusion and
some business disruption.

People are familiar with the DHS system so that is what we should use.
It can
all be done in CSS except the pointer, so it should not add significant
load
to the site. And the formula could be changed at some future point when
the
unique addresses accessing ARIN's site are over 50% IPv6 so that the
indicator
has a chance to move down into green territory.