[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver forIPv6assignments to LRSA signatories

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 2 20:35:54 EST 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 7:13 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> On 2010.03.02 17:06, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> If you are getting an allocation, you are an ISP/LIR.  End users get
>> Assignements, not allocations.
>> There currently are not any fee waivers for assignments.
>
> ...and there shouldn't be imho.
>
> End users can achieve cost savings by signing up with an ISP who assigns
> them IPv6 address space for no extra cost to the bandwidth/connection
> package that they purchase.
>
> A financial value must be seen up-front by end-users who want to hold a
> routing slot, and personally, I don't mind if that value translates into
> fees paid to ARIN for the management of the space.
>
> If there isn't any up front cost to an end-user, then IPv6 space could
> be treated as throwaway [insert free email supplier] accounts, whereas
> ARIN would bear the brunt of the maintenance, and operators would curse.

Nobody is proposing to do away with the annual fees.  The cost of a routing
slot should be reflected in your transit or peering arrangements. In other
words, routing belongs in the purview of the ISPs, not in the purview of
address assignment. There is nothing that says a prefix delegated by ARIN
will or can be routable. ARIN makes no such claim or guarantee.  It is
entirely up to ISPs what prefixes they choose to carry on their networks.

Owen