[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver forIPv6assignments to LRSA signatories

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Mar 2 18:13:58 EST 2010

On 2010.03.02 17:06, Owen DeLong wrote:
> If you are getting an allocation, you are an ISP/LIR.  End users get
> Assignements, not allocations.
> There currently are not any fee waivers for assignments.

...and there shouldn't be imho.

End users can achieve cost savings by signing up with an ISP who assigns
them IPv6 address space for no extra cost to the bandwidth/connection
package that they purchase.

A financial value must be seen up-front by end-users who want to hold a
routing slot, and personally, I don't mind if that value translates into
fees paid to ARIN for the management of the space.

If there isn't any up front cost to an end-user, then IPv6 space could
be treated as throwaway [insert free email supplier] accounts, whereas
ARIN would bear the brunt of the maintenance, and operators would curse.

Steve