[arin-discuss] fee waivers

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jun 23 15:00:29 EDT 2010

In a message written on Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 01:31:40PM -0500, Aaron Wendel wrote:
> My intent here was to bring up a point that I believe has merit.  There is a
> fee waiver in place for initial allocations to ISPs because we want ISPs to
> adopt IPv6.  Don't we want end users to adopt IPv6?  ISPs have more of an
> incentive because they're growing and need additional space ongoing.  They
> need a migration plan.  What about Bob's Pizza that qualified for a /20
> years ago and will never need more IPs?  What is his incentive to move to
> v6?  If large chunks of network space don't adopt v6 then it removes the
> incentive for everyone else to as well.  I see a lot of momentum being
> generated by the "everyone is doing it" clause.

A fee waver is a (temporary) removal of a disincentive to adopt
IPv6.  A fee waver is in no way an incetive.  If you have no reason
to adopt IPv6, then the removal of the fee will still leave you
with no reason to adopt IPv6.

Bob's Pizza will soon have an incentive.  In the not too distant
future some ISP will roll out IPv6 only users.  They will then
complain they can't get to Bob's Pizza's web site to order.  Bob's
Pizza will upgrade to IPv6 to service these users when there is
critical mass.  If the lost business isn't well more than the fee,
then Bob's Pizza hasn't reached the tipping point yet.

The existance, or lack of fees will, statistically speaking, make
absolutely zero difference in when that occurs.

I support fee wavers for two, and only two reasons:

1) To support experimentation and learning.  10 years ago we needed fee
   wavers for IPv6 so lab rats could play with it and develop the protocol
   without huge budget hassles.  That reason is all but gone.  It may
   exist again, in the future, for specific protocols, resources, or other
   narrow use cases.  Speaking of, it would be nice if "experimental"
   resources were fee-waved....

2) Qualified non-profts operating in the pubic benefit.  Disclaimer, I
   work for a non-profit, but I don't actually want the waver for my
   company.  The community exchange set up as a non-profit is actually a
   better model.  In this case I don't think the fee should ever be
   zero, but rather very, very low.

If any "for proft" company can't afford the fee that really means
they don't have sufficient income to justify it.  In which case
they don't have a significant enough business to be getting Internet
resources direct from ARIN.

Lastly, it seems to me a lot of folks want to force IPv6 adoption
in a faster time frame, for reasons I do not understand.  There's
an urgency to cajole others into doing IPv6 sooner, but I have no
idea for what end.  People will do it when they need it, stop trying
to manipulate them into doing it sooner, no one likes that.

IPv6 will happen, on it's own schedule.  Take a deep breath.