[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Kreg Roenfeldt kreg at directcom.com
Wed May 6 12:21:04 EDT 2009

Eric Windisch wrote:
> To me, the logical deployment seems to provide a /128 address, and
> route a /64, /56, or /48 into that.  My fear is that this will be
> hidden inside a cable modem or other CPE that the customer won't have
> direct access to, similar to how it is currently, except that
> currently we at least have NAT and can avoid proper routing.  A /128
> address should be given directly to the customer for routing their
> subnet through their own devices.
Agreed.  Lazy deployed ISP's in my area have often launched broadband to
residential homes and businesses by being the gateway for the customer
and requiring only a bridged device and a customer to have a switch for
adding additional IP's.  This causes very messing layouts.

Point to Point end connections (/32 in ipv4), on ATM, PPP, PPPoE, etc,
to each customer providing 1 IP address per account, and optional
additional service for routing subnets to that 1 IP representing the
customer is a very clean way to deploy, bill, and adjust address space.
Anything else seems wasteful and requiring prediction of future.

Deploying as a "standard", a subnet every time seems wasteful and
defeating the purpose of why are are having to move to a  128bit IP
system.  I know 99% of my customers won't have a clue what the word
subnet is.

-=Kreg