[arin-discuss] IPv6 End User Assignments

Eric Windisch eric at grokthis.net
Wed May 6 11:47:38 EDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Mike Berger wrote:

> I would expect a North American ISP to allocate a single IPv6 address
> and charge a huge fee for a subnet for their residential ADSL
> customers.

The minimum reasonable size would be a /64 (a single address would be
a /128).  It should be noted that a /64 doesn't entirely exclude
customers from subnetting, but it will cause problems with router
advertisement and other features.  I don't think that anyone with
experience deploying IPv6 would argue for subnets smaller than a /64,
so its not worth discussing further.

Another thought I have: what about routing?  Right now, while you
might not see a lot of users configuring subnets at home, there is a
much larger number of "power users" that configure their own routers
and firewalls for purposes besides simply running NAT.   With IPv6, if
an ISP only provides a bridged /64, customer's machines will connect
directly to the ISP and will not pass through any customer-premises
routing equipment.  At best, customers could configure a layer-3
switch or bridging firewall.

To me, the logical deployment seems to provide a /128 address, and
route a /64, /56, or /48 into that.  My fear is that this will be
hidden inside a cable modem or other CPE that the customer won't have
direct access to, similar to how it is currently, except that
currently we at least have NAT and can avoid proper routing.  A /128
address should be given directly to the customer for routing their
subnet through their own devices.

Regards,
Eric Windisch