[arin-discuss] IPv6 Hurdles

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Fri May 1 17:21:19 EDT 2009

Most specifically, I need a firewall.

> I found this website listing vendors support IPv6, but I
> don't know whether it's
> claimed support or tested support:  http://www.ipv6-to-standard.org/
> DoD also listed supported devices for IPv6:
> http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html
> I've added these to the ARIN wiki:
> http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Device_Support

The DOD list is useful. However the number of different vendors with tested firewall products is small.

> > Sure, I could find a linux download that supports IPv6 and
> build my own
> > firewall, but networking and firewalls are not my primary
> job -- I do them
> > because somebody has to. I'm looking for off-the-shelf
> supported equipment.
>
> If networking's not your thing, there's no shame in hiring a
> consultant or VAR
> to build it (or just design it) for you.

My point is that I am not willing to build my own firewall. I want off-the-shelf supported products.

> From the main page, click IPv6 Deployment and Migration
> Planning.  You'll see a
> link to Device Support.  Yes, it would be nice to see more
> devices listed, but I'm not
> sure it's realistic to list every software version of each
> device, and providing cost
> would be inappropriate for ARIN.

There has to be a useful point somewhere between listing nothing and listing every possible combination.

Cost is really a surrogate for the approximate organization size a device is designed to support. For example, I'm looking for equipment to support an organization with less than 250 employees. I'm not looking for equipment to support the world wide network backbone.

Keith