[arin-discuss] IPv6 Hurdles

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 15:05:39 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----

What kind of equipment are you looking for?  Current desktop OSes support
IPv6.  Most routers and switches do, but YMMV depending on features needed.
I found this website listing vendors support IPv6, but I don't know whether it's
claimed support or tested support:  http://www.ipv6-to-standard.org/
DoD also listed supported devices for IPv6: http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html
I've added these to the ARIN wiki:
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Device_Support

> Sure, I could find a linux download that supports IPv6 and build my own
> firewall, but networking and firewalls are not my primary job -- I do them
> because somebody has to. I'm looking for off-the-shelf supported equipment.

If networking's not your thing, there's no shame in hiring a consultant or VAR
to build it (or just design it) for you.

> 2. Getting IPv6 service from my ISP

Google "IPv6 tunnel" to find an ISP who will tunnel IPv6 for you.  Usually very
cheap.

> 3. Learning enough to configure and use IPv6
>
> Learning IPv6 is on my list. I even have an IPv6 book on my shelf. However,
> without network equipment, what's the point?

So you have a plan.  You need to write your addressing plan, develop your
architecture, write use cases, update your systems.
btw, many IPv6 books are out of date and trying to cash in on hype and
FUD.  Some book reviews: http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Book_Reviews

> 4. Pushing business application vendors to support IPv6
>
> I don't think the business applications we use support IPv6 yet. However,
> without network equipment, I can't test and can't push the vendors.

What applications?  Most business applications are network-layer-agnostic,
and should work fine.  Operations support systems (monitoring, alerting,
reporting, security) may need work, but vi and PeachTree should be fine.
At least some databases support IPv6 to at least some extent, but you'd have
to ask them.

> Summary
>
> Until I can go to computer vendor's web store, search for IPv6, and find network
> equipment, IPv6 will not be real.

IPv6 isn't a feature.  Go to the same vendor's web store and enter "IPv4" and
you don't see many products.

> The ARIN IPv6 wiki (http://www.getipv6.info) is a start, but is still pretty
> sketchy.
>
> A really useful addition to the IPv6 wiki would be a section that documents what
> equipment and software versions support IPv6, and the approximate cost. Making
> it possible to find equipment that supports IPv6 will certainly increase the
> IPv6 adoption rate.

>From the main page, click IPv6 Deployment and Migration Planning.  You'll see a
link to Device Support.  Yes, it would be nice to see more devices listed, but I'm not
sure it's realistic to list every software version of each device, and providing cost
would be inappropriate for ARIN.

Lee