[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue May 20 16:00:40 EDT 2008

Interesting how this discussion has changed from:

"what is required to be in SWIP"

"what is required for me to get my next IP block allocation"

In any case, my experience with the ARIN staff has been different
than yours.

But, I will also state that if your chewing up IP that fast and in
such quantity that your asking for numerous allocations that
you frankly have no competitive problems with disclosing your
customer list.

Disclosure of your customer list only hurts you if it results in
customer loss.  And, you obviously do not have significant customer
loss if your asking for numerous allocations.  So why do you care
that this data is public?

> That being said, Tim, while I appreciate your effort I didn't
> respond because I had written you off as someone who didn't
> have a clue.
>
> For those of you wondering what then end of the story is, I
> SWIPed my ranges with my customer's names and my address.  I
> submitted my request with some justification information and
> received my approval and new allocation in 50 minutes.
> Seriously.  I sent it in at 12:59 and received my block at
> 1:49. I'm pretty sure that is some kind of record and would
> like to whole heartedly thank the ARIN staff, who I'm sure
> have pretty thankless jobs, for realizing I was at something
> like 99% utilization and needed the IPs desperately.

How exactly would ARIN have the time to actually contact any of
the names in your SWIPped list and verify that they were actually
legitimate, and that you hadn't simply put a bunch of fake
names and addresses in there?

Ted