[arin-discuss] The joy of SWIPping

Aaron Wendel aaron at wholesaleinternet.com
Tue May 20 15:19:44 EDT 2008

Oh boy... here we go.  First off, thanks to all the people that gave me
constructive answers.  I do appreciate it.

I'll just snip off all the other garbage and go right to the point:

>Please, read the entire thread first before merely restating the
>same stuff that has already been hashed up.  You might actually
>try RESPONDING to the issue at hand.  Most who have responded
>have been upset over what they THINK the NRPM and ARIN's rules
>on SWIP are, not what the manual and rules actually state.

I decided to keep my mouth shut (or fingers still) on your response because
it did me no good at all.  What it says in the "manual" and what happens in
real life are two very different things.  I have asked for numerous
allocations in the past and ALWAYS been required to SWIP my current
allocations to show usage.  I asked once if I could send in a list of our
customers and their allocations and was told no, I HAD to SWIP them.

That being said, Tim, while I appreciate your effort I didn't respond
because I had written you off as someone who didn't have a clue.

For those of you wondering what then end of the story is, I SWIPed my ranges
with my customer's names and my address.  I submitted my request with some
justification information and received my approval and new allocation in 50
minutes.  Seriously.  I sent it in at 12:59 and received my block at 1:49.
I'm pretty sure that is some kind of record and would like to whole
heartedly thank the ARIN staff, who I'm sure have pretty thankless jobs, for
realizing I was at something like 99% utilization and needed the IPs
desperately.

Thank you again, also, to the people who provided constructive, real world
suggestions.

Aaron