[arin-discuss] Status of Investigations

Mike Lieberman Mike at netwright.net
Thu Jan 3 11:22:02 EST 2008

Fellow members, Mr. Vixie and all involved with this thread:

As just another member, who claims no special position, rights or claim on
your attention, I do, as a recipient of this thread observe the following:

There are those of us (and there are many) who have been familiar - if from
afar - with Paul Vixie's name, reputation and abilities for two decades. Mr.
Vixie does not know me and owes me nothing. However, gratuitous savaging of
a high profile person such as Paul Vixie in this manner is tasteless and
demeaning both to us as an organization and to those who participate.

Past restraining orders and lawsuits tell me nothing in relation to matters
at hand, and if they do this is not the place where such information is
useful.

If there are issues that relate to who should recuse themselves from voting
and the need for rules related to that, great, let's have that conversation
outside of the heat of name calling.

If there is an issue of improper use of staff, improper use of ARIN funds
for travel, and other such matters, the ARIN board needs to either conduct
an inquiry into the matter or lay out the actual facts related to complaint
in a public place on the ARIN website.

If there is a charge that members of the board are engaged in illegal or
inappropriate activity - then that charge should be made to the board
itself. If the board does not respond, and if the matters do not rise to the
level of illegal, then I suggest that the complaining member should wait for
the coming ARIN meeting in Denver as such issues are properly best addressed
in  a business meeting. If the matter is one of legality, take it to the
courts. Arguing here is meaningless in that case.

I learned years ago that not all ARIN members will ever agree on anything. I
do not assume that there isn't some merit - somewhere - within the
complaint.  However, if the purpose of the posting is to educate and
elucidate - it has failed. It looks like mud-slinging from my vantage point.

If the real reason for the complaint is because of a desire to protect IP
allocation made out of the swamp, (hey I got one of those allocations for my
old company years ago) then this mud-slinging is simply sad and pitiful

Respectfully,

Mike Lieberman

Net Wright LLC