[arin-discuss] Importance of Corporate Governance

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Feb 6 02:08:34 EST 2008

I think I have to take a detour to address the improper attacks on my
reputation.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Alvin Starr wrote:

> Wow.
> What did you do to piss Dean off?
> Did you steal his wife or girlfriend/boyfriend?

Its what I did to piss them off. In 1998 I told NANOG that laws
(specifically the ECPA) applied to ISPs. They were so angry about this
that they threatened to find me in an alley if I attended a meeting.
This threat is a violation of the Hobbs Act.

In 1999, Chris Neill made claims on NANOG that it is OK to abuse open
relays.  I tell him it is not OK and that there is a law (the Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act) that prohibits that.  Neill proceeds to abuse AV8
relays.  Chris Neill is later fired over this and investigated by the
FBI [http://www.iadl.org/cn/cn-story.html]

Later, another discussion was opened about internet crimes committed
from another country. NANOG people belittled this notion and bashed me
repeatedly. On January 13th, 2000, coindentally, there is a current news
story where a russian hacker penetrated a US web site and stole credit
cards. He was arrested, thereby proving Anderson's assertion that people
can be held responsible for crimes committed over the internet in
another country. I was essentially vindicated, which made the NANOG
people really, REALLY angry.  So Harris banned me from NANOG. Internet
Law is a topic of NANOG, and NANOG has had a seminar on law.

Then in 2000-2002 I helped Dr. Dan Bernstein fight the AXFR-clarify scam
on the IETF DNSEXT Working Group list. This message summarized that
pretty well:

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2008/msg00093.html

These are Dr. Bernstein's pages
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/axfr-clarify.html
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/namedroppers.html

In 2002 I encountered J. Alif Terranson working at Savvis. Terranson had
some misrepresentations about open relays. I won, Savvis paid my legal
fees.
http://www.iadl.org/JATerranson/JATerranson-story.html
This really pissed off some people.

So in 2002 MAPS became "for-profit", and SORBS was founded.  By Spring
2003, SORBS was claiming that netblocks used by AV8 Internet were
hijacked.  Vixie was providing services to SORBS.
See http://www.iadl.org/sorbs/sorbs-story.html
and http://www.iadl.org/maps/maps-story.html

In 2005, I complained to the IETF that a "spamops" document being
promoted by Dave Crocker and John Levine (Vixie associate on Whitehat
Board) contained false claims about that were identified as originating
from Mathew Sullivan of SORBS.  I objected on the basis of the false
statements in the draft, and the association of Sullivan to the false
claims about netblocks used by AV8 Internet.  This made some people
really angry.

Also, in 2005, I complained that the IETF DNSEXT Working Group wasn't
complying with RFC3979 regarding the disclosure of software patents, and
the discussion of non-patented alternatives. This made some people
angry. Steven Bellovin, using his authority as the IPR Working Group
Chair, stated falsely that RFC3979 wasn't the policy of the IETF.
[Bellovin was a NANOG'r who had previously told network operators that
the ECPA didn't apply to ISPs. See
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/People/StevenBellovin/index.html]

And also between 2002 and 2005, I opposed the use of Anycast in Root DNS
Servers. In 2005, considerble evidence came to light showing that this
practice was not stable for stateful services (TCP). [Anycast is the
process of giving several computers the same IP Address. It is described
in RFC1546, which also states Anycast is unsuitable for stateful
services. (eg TCP). This really REALLY pissed people off. Particularly
Paul Vixie.

So NANOG'r David Kessens (on the IESG), threatened to ban me if I didn't
shut up about Anycast problems on the DNSOP Working Group.  I complained
about the threat to the IETF.  Kessens carried out the threat, with the
assistance of Susan Harris (NANOG) and Dave Crocker, and began a
procedure to ban my posts.

The IETF requires a "consensus" call. 15 people voted AGAINST the ban.
Only 2 voted FOR the ban.  This vote was then falsely reported as being
FOR the ban. http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/IESG/IESG-PR-discussion.html

And so it continues.

False, fictitious, and fraudulent statements are predicates acts for
Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).

Two predicate acts constitute a pattern of racketeering activity.

Disregard for the law is evidence of criminal intent.

When non-profit organizations are involved, economic harm (in addition
to profit) is allowed as an objective of a RICO enterprise.

What's remarkable about these events is that NANOG is 184 core members.
Their infiltration into IETF, ARIN, and ICANN is truly remarkable.

617 344 9000