[arin-discuss] Importance of Corporate Governance

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Feb 5 13:40:25 EST 2008

> Wait a minute, I actually can read. In your quote of Dean:
> "an ARIN Board Member previously accused in Court of, among
> other things, extortion and organized crime". This is Dean
> relating a fact. It is not an accusation of "murderer, drug
> dealer international criminal mastermind".

Facts are not relevant here. This is not a court of law.

If this were a court of law, there would be rules of evidence
and rules of decorum and rules of procedure that would not allow
Dean to present such accusations without backing them up and
showing how they are relevant to the lawsuit being tried.

But, as I said, this is not a court of law and anyone can fling
around untrue accusations, half-truths, hearsay, twelfth-hand
stale news stories and so on. This may contribute to the
entertainment of ARIN members, but does nothing to lead us
towards the truth of the matter.

> The phrase
> "organized crime"
> does not equate to "international criminal mastermind". I
> have also done the reading on the history and learned that
> the accusation carried at least enough weight to result in an
> injunction.

So what!?

Lots of courts issue stupid injunctions when they are presented
with false and misleading material. If a complainant lies to his
lawyer, then the lawyer can talk a judge into an injunction. If
the lawyer (or someone else's lawyer) shows that there is no
justification for the injunction, it is overruled or withdrawn.
This is meaningless. It has no bearing whatsoever on whether or
not the subject of the injunction did anything illegal. It says
more about the gullibility of some lawyers than anything else.

--Michael Dillon