[arin-discuss] No quorum in last election

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Fri Feb 1 19:15:10 EST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> No.  Your explanation isn't complete.  When a business enters bankruptcy
> the court-supervised entity that oversees the bankruptcy is _supposed_ to
> extract the money necessary to fund itself before the creditors get paid.
> But sometimes in the case of liquidation, years after the creditors are paid
> and the bankruptcy is for most intents and purposes completed, the money
> funding it runs out, the supervisor (usually a law firm) decides it is no
> longer profitable to oversee it - and then stops responding to any queries
> regarding the liquidated business unless they are compelled to do so by a
> court order.  This is particularly the case when the business owners have
> lost significant sums and, wishing to escape further demands on what money
> they have left, flee the country.

I suppose there are cases of impropriety by the appointed masters, but I
don't know of any reason that should be especially rampant with ARIN
members in bankruptcy. The potential for impropriety by the
court-appointed master doesn't justify a corporation in disenfranchising
all members in bankruptcy; It is not part of the Virginia statute and
ARIN doesn't have this as a bylaw, so the issue is moot. It just isn't
the case for ARIN, now.

> The problem with the membership list is that until ARIN validates
> everyone and everything on it, your count of members is worth exactly
> the same as my count of 990 bogus members.

Err, no. My count is based on the membership list published by ARIN.
That list is the official list. You can challenge anyone on that list,
even 990 members, but your challenge has to succeed before those members
can be disenfranchised and removed from the roll.  Until listed members
are are no longer members, they are members.

		--Dean

617 344 9000