[arin-discuss] Are we going to vote on this ?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Nov 13 18:28:02 EST 2007

At 4:15 PM -0500 11/13/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
>As I understand the process, there is no hurry to have the petition
>filed:  Nothing can happen until the membership can vote in the next
>Member Meeting which is in April.

Just for clarity - A special meeting (and vote for removal) may be held
prior to next April, if a petition for removal is filed with ARIN's President.
I'm not trying to advocate for or against such a course of action, just
trying to insure that there is not a misunderstanding on this point.

>Everything I've cited is publicly verifiable. For facts I've asserted on
>ARIN/NANOG, you can go the NANOG web site, look at pages on previous
>meetings, and get the attendee lists. It didn't take me more than a
>couple hours to download and put into a database. For the $50,000 check
>to Nanog, you can look at the 2007 ARIN budget
>http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html For facts on VON, we
>have yet to receive accurate numbers, however Board Members have
>confirmed going to VON and have asserted this is "eductational
>outreach". There is no dispute over the facts found so far.  The facts
>have essentially been stipulated by the both sides.

While the above citations are indeed verifiable, you've made numerous
statements which not publicly verifiable facts.  These are likely what
the prior gentleman was referring to by use of the term "allegations".

> The dispute is whether these activities qualify as "educational outreach".

That is ultimately a matter for the ARIN members to decide...

At every member meeting, we've presented a financial update
and we use that as a opportunity to gain feedback from the
community regarding direction on fees and services.  At the April
2001 meeting, we had a specific presentation that noted our
current reserve plan had been realized, and that we could add
additional initiatives and/or reduce fees.   (For those who are
curious, a copy of the presentation may be found here:
http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_VII/PDF/day3_fee.pdf)
I'll note that the 3rd slide specifically mentions several options
for services and initiatives, *including* increasing outreach &
education services and/or providing support to NANOG to do the
session recording for remote participation.  There was ample
discussion, with the consensus being that ARIN should pursue
these initiatives before reducing fees.

Dean - ARIN is membership organization, and as such, needs to be
very open and responsive to any concerns from the members
regarding its finances and governance.  As a result of the discussion
on this list over the last month, the staff will be gathering additional
data on travel and outreach and we will provide that once available.

If the ARIN membership wishes to change the direction we take on
these matters, that would be a very good topic to raise for further
discussion during the open members meeting in April.  As it is, we
have been proceeding based on the member direction to date.

/John
Chairman, ARIN Board of Trustees