[arin-discuss] Irrelevance (fwd)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sun Nov 11 17:02:01 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Tom Burling wrote:

> Sorry guys, this is it. Until you fix this thing, I'm off the list.

It is strange that a senior manager with public corporation experience
should be so intolerant of the views of others.

> And as a note to someone who wants to monopolize (and ruin) this forum

I haven't "monopolized" anything.  You are free to post about anything
you like, including your extreme dislike of accountability.

> I am a CFO of a public reporting corporation, and understand corporate
> management and fiduciary responsibilities.

It is unclear that you fully understand those responsibilities, if you
are unaware of the right of members/shareholders to investigate
misconduct in an organization.  You should know that there is nothing to
"fix". "Fixing", as I take your meaning, just creates the both the facts
and the appearance of a coverup of misconduct or corruption.  You should
have learned that in 30 years. If corporate officers and Board Members
could silence members or shareholders, and refuse cooperation and access
to documents, there would never be any corruption charges: No one would
be able to find anything out. You should know that, as a CFO.  But I can
perhaps understand why CFO's might resent those particular rights of
members and shareholders.

> I also agree that for ARIN to operate without input from the TECHNICAL
> people that rely upon its functioning, it is operating in the dark.
> They should not only be allowed to participate, they should be
> encouraged to do so.

I've never said that ARIN should operate without the input of technical
people. Please don't misrepresent my position.  Giving $120,000+ to
NANOG is not required to obtain 'technical input'.

> I'm not some junior manager, I'm an old man with almost thirty years
> in corporate management - and I don't have time to read what has
> basically become more annoying than SPAM.  To ARIN, when you fix this
> forum let me know. I'd like to participate in a serious dialogue.

It is strange that you object to spam, but don't object to spammers
running ARIN.

But I'm glad that you object to spam. If spammers weren't running the
anti-spam efforts and making money from both, I'm sure there would be
less spam.

		--Dean

617 344 9000