[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Nov 10 23:13:28 EST 2007

That is NOT what I said.  I said "all attenders" not just ARIN
employees.

>So far, ARIN's involvement with NANOG has increased those
>ARIN's costs by $130,000+

Assuming that is true I see no problem IF the TOTAL costs that
were spent by ALL attenders were at least $130,000 LOWER as
a result of attending the joint meetings.

ARIN staff is paid by our dues.  Either we pay more money for
double hotel rooms/flights/food for our staff that we send to
these meetings, or we pay slightly more in dues to cover the
increased expense to ARIN of holding joint meetings.  The smart
thing is to pay the lower of the two TOTAL costs.  Thus, if
ARIN and NANOG hold joint meetings and our increased ARIN dues
as a result of this are, say $500, but our increased costs to
send our employee to a separate NANOG meeting would be, say, $1000,
why then we are stupid to tell ARIN not to hold a joint meeting
with NANOG.  THAT is what the ARIN mangement needs to prove.

Ted