[arin-discuss] Spammer/Abuser screening policy

LavaNet Hostmaster hostmaster at lava.net
Tue Apr 25 16:16:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, ipaddressing wrote:

> I wasn't aware of such a screening process.  Is this standard ISP
> practice for smaller subnets such as /29 and up to /24.  I guess I am
> curious to some of these policies and procedures as well.

Your first line of defence is to Know Your Customer. Get as much info
on what exactly they intend to do, and where they got connectivity
previously. Also, make sure that they read and sign the AUP.

And after a particularly bad experience that we had, I'd suggest asking
them, in 100 words or less, to describe exactly what "Confirmed Opt-In"
means to them, and then read their response over very carefully, and
see if you pick up any danger signs.

Past that, you might want to check them out against this:

	<http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/>

Aloha,
Michael.