[arin-discuss] IP Address Management Software

Sean Crandall sean at megapath.net
Mon Jul 28 17:33:15 EDT 2003

Hello all...

This is exactly what I did for our company.  I had looked around, but I was
not able to find anything that suited our needs, so I wrote something while
on a few cross country plane trips.  What I have now saves me numerous hours
reviewing data and managing our IP space (which is currently about five
/16's between what we have and what our customers have).

What does it do?
* Tracks/assigns all WAN IPs for customers routers
* Tracks/assigns all subnets assigned to customers
* Monitors customer database for cancellations to automatically reclaim IP
space from customers that have moved on
* Manage all netblocks assigned from ARIN
* Provides utilization reports specifically in reference to how close am I
to the magical 80% to request more IPs.
* Provides utilization information for each of our 12 markets around the
country so that I know when we are running low on IPs for a region.  If we
are low, a couple of clicks and the IP pools are automatically refreshed.
* Manages the assignments of /24's to our 12 markets around the US while
automatically making sure that if I assign a /21 to NYC, that it does not
violate any subnet boundries or cross over into blocks that have been assign
to other markets.
* Daily scrubs of all /24's to be used for customer subnet assignments (not
WAN IPs) to look for /24's that are completely used and then take them out
of the search path when assigning IPs for customers (this is to speed up the
assignments... no need to look for holes in blocks that you know are full).
* Generates our RADIUS files which are used for automatic circuit
provisioning and IP routing.
* Automatically updates my RWhois server every day with all of our
reassignment information.
* Has the ability to automatically send out SWIP adds/changes/deletes (but I
commented it out of the code because I wanted to stay with RWhois)
* Tracks ASN's of our customers

And one of the biggest benefits...

* When I am ready to request more IPs from ARIN, I hit a button and 30
seconds later, a completed IP request form drops into my Inbox completely
filled out with all of the detail that ARIN is looking for in processing a
request.  All I have to do is forward the email to ARIN!

-Sean

Sean P. Crandall
VP Engineering Operations
MegaPath Networks Inc.