[ARIN-consult] RPKI/IRR Consultation Reminder and Update

Michael Felden mfelden at zav.sh
Fri Sep 8 09:19:05 EDT 2023

Hello everyone,

Initially, I considered an opt-out option as a fine solution.

This perspective was based on a 3 year old ASN with no technical debt and a straightforward network.

Putting myself into the shoes of some of the other commenters here, their situation is *vastly* different from ours and it becomes clear why opt-in might be a more sensible approach.

A possible compromise could involve implementing opt-in at the ORGid level, actively promoting it through the user interface and member communications, especially for new ORGs during on-boarding.

This will leave 20 year old networks that have been through 5 rounds of M&A in peace.

Additionally, we could explore implementing a feature suggested by Miles in a previous discussion:

For ORGids that are not opted in who create an IRR object without a matching ROA, or vice versa, we could highlight this and provide a "sync this for me" button to create the corresponding object. Perhaps also display this delta when an org with existing objects opts in. Don't just create objects in the background but show them their status quo and have them confirm that they are happy with the before and after.

Best,

Mike Felden