[ARIN-consult] RPKI/IRR Consultation Reminder and Update

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 7 14:37:58 EDT 2023

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 11:16 AM Tauber, Tony <Tony_Tauber at comcast.com> wrote:
> It seems these could be summarized as “I imagine there should be a knob but have no concrete reason why”.

Hi Tony,

I don't disagree, but decades of experience have taught me that's a
compelling reason to have a knob. It's better to have a capability and
not need it than to need a capability and not have it.

That doesn't mean you build every conceivable capability, but it does
mean that when you have a choice between creating a hard link between
two otherwise separate systems and creating a soft link between them,
the smart choice is nearly always a soft link with a disable knob.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin