[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Reminder: Consultation on Registration ServicesAgreement - MORE

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 17 17:23:54 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I oppose Mike’s proposed modifications.
>
> I think it is perfectly reasonable to use the desire for further ARIN
> services as a point for making it clear that
> the existing resources are also part of that process.

Hi Owen,

The current text is mute on the question and contracts don't generally
apply to prior commitments. Since the RSA is a contract of adhesion
(unless you happen to be a government), it will be construed against
ARIN in any proceedings. This means it won't haphazardly apply to
resources ARIN didn't issue under that specific RSA unless the address
holder for some reason wants it to.

If you want it to include resources which aren't part of the immediate
set someone signs the contract for, ARIN will have to change the RSA
to expressly include them.

Personally, I'm with Mike. No good can come from antagonizing the
legacy holders. Too many of them have good lawyers and if IPv6 lands
as expected, the matter will be moot soon enough.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us