Comments on Name Based Virtualk Hosting Policy Recommendation

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Wed May 9 13:55:53 EDT 2001

I understand the point of this recommendation.
I agree with the background of this idea.

But most thing that ISP interpret this as different meaning is following.

           When an ISP submits a request for IP address space to be used
           for IP-based web hosting, they will supply technical
           justification for this practice. ARIN will collect this data for
           review of the policy in light of operational experience.

>From above policy statement,

they "will" or they "should"?

"Will" means "willingness" or "wish".
So they might supply technical justification or they might not.

Some ISP interpret this as "should".
That's why a lot of small ISP is so aggresive to the customer based on
previous policy and this recommendation.

I don't want to argue with English grammar, because I'm not a
English-as-a-primary-language person.

I'm sure that nobody want for hosting provider to close their business
because of this.

Therefore if ARIN interpret this "will" as volunteer thing, they should
specify that ISP can still allow IP-based hosting and/or named-based
hosting
without any disadvantages from ARIN's IP reviewing process.

If ARIN interpret this as must-do thing, it's better for us to change this
from recommendation to policy.

That's it for today. :-)

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu / CCDA, MCSE
Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
The Guardians of Data
275 North Corporate Drive
Brookfield, WI 53045-5818
Tel. +1.262.792.7965
Fax. +1.262.792.7733

                    sigma at pair.co
                    m                    To:     vwp at arin.net
                    Sent by:             cc:     (bcc: Hyunseog Ryu/Brookfield/Norlight)
                    owner-vwp at ari        Fax to:
                    n.net                Subject:     Re: Comments on Name Based Virtualk Hosting Policy
                                         Recommendation

                    05/09/2001
                    12:17 PM

Perhaps it would help if the statement had a sentence clearly indicating
what you've just explained.  It appears that some ISPs either don't
understand, or prefer not to understand, for their own reasons.

I didn't think this was necessary before, but apparently there is no limit
to the obtuseness of some providers (referring to no one in particular).

Kevin