ARIN Justified...

Clayton Lambert Clay at exodus.net
Tue Jan 9 21:34:46 EST 2001

Good points, all...well, most.

As far as justifying IP usage, which is what this discussion is about (it
isn't about pitting ISPs against webhosters),  a standard description of
"efficient use of space" is ONE IP per physical device.  That means that if
a Customer of yours has 100 devices that JUSTIFY public IP address space,
they get a /25 or a /24 (pending their growth projection).  But  if you have
FOUR servers running a thousand websites, you would need to explain why you
need that /22 for FOUR physical devices.
If you have a valid TECHNICAL reason for utilizing more than one IP per
physical device then fine, you get the IP space...If you DON'T have a
technically valid justification for putting 1024 IP addresses on FOUR
servers, then you won't get them.

This makes sense to me. It seems simple actually...Nobody should be trying
to figure out how to conserve IP space in this forum. This forum is for
developing and discussing an effective IP allocation policy. One that will
be enforceable and that will allow maintainers to support ARIN in the goal
of providing IP addresses to the public, in a manner that is effective and
fair to all parties.

Clayton Lambert
Compliance Services Director,
Exodus Communications