ARIN Justified...

Simon simon at optinet.com
Mon Jan 8 17:24:22 EST 2001

We have servers with over 5-10 million hits and parse logs daily at night. It takes about 2 hours to parse the logs per
machine. Mostly due to resolving IPs. To get just the bandwidth, 10 million hits log file can be parsed in matter of
minutes. So, you just need better tools ;-) As for other traffic such as FTP, there is a log file which can be parsed, too.
We actually do this for anonymous FTP. I don't know who charges for POP/SMTP traffic, but same method can be
implied here to calculate the bandwidth, too. It's matter of having right tools for the job. They are out there or you can
have a programmer write custom set for your needs. Keep in mind, I'm referring to virtual web hosting, not dedicated.

-Simon