proposed changes to the micro-allocation policy

David Kessens david at iprg.nokia.com
Wed Mar 20 00:32:22 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:54:06PM -0500, Mark Kosters wrote:

> ... stuff deleted ...
>
> Note that exchange point allocations should not be announced on the public
> Internet whereas the others may be announced on the Internet.  ARIN will
> provide a list of Micro-allocations to apprise ISPs on what blocks are
> allocated to aid in their route filter development.
>
> Exchange point operators must provide justification for the allocation,
> including: connection policy, location, other participants (minimum of two),
> ASN, and contact information. ISPs and other organizations receiving these
> micro-allocations will be charged under the ISP fee schedule, while end users
> will be charged under the fee schedule for end users. This policy does not
> preclude exchange point operators from requesting address space under other
> policies.

I would prefer that exchange points should not be handled under this
proposed policy. The other RIRs already adopted a policy for exchange
points only. Just like they did, I would like to have single clear
document for an exchange point operator on what it takes to get
addresses and which address block is used for this purpose so that
filtering is possible.

Having routable micro-allocations seems to me a completely different
topic altogether with a completely different set of pros and cons that
should be discussed separately.

David K.
---