ARIN IPv6 Policy Proposed

J. Scott Marcus smarcus at genuity.com
Mon Mar 12 17:28:58 EST 2001

At 14:46 03/12/2001 -0600, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Antonio Querubin wrote:
>> The draft has the following recommendations:
>>
>> 1.  Home network subscribers, connecting through on-demand or
>>     always-on connections should received a /48.
>> 2.  Small and large enterprises should received a /48....

< ... snip ...>

>> It seems that #1 and #2 above could/should be qualified with having a
>> requirement to subnet or be geographically dispersed.
>
>Do you want to be in the business of making that judgement on your users?

Absolutely!

Delegated through the ISPs, of course.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It imposes no burden to speak of.  We KNOW what services we're selling, and
to whom.  The cable or DSL that we sell to a small household (suitable for,
say, a /56) is a distinct service from the leased line connection that we
sell to a medium or large enerprise.  Marketing and deployment are separate
or trivially separable.  And if we are dynamically allocating an IP address
to a dial-up user, we know that, too.