ARIN IPv6 Policy

J. Scott Marcus smarcus at genuity.com
Mon Mar 12 10:33:16 EST 2001

At 08:12 03/12/2001 -0700, David R Huberman wrote:

>> After a discussion concerning the IAB/IESG recommendation for IPv6
>> address space allocation on the ARIN IPv6 WG mail list, the ARIN
>> Advisory Council is proposing that the following be the ARIN policy
>> concerning IPv6 address space allocation:
>
>> "ARIN will allocate IPv6 addresses according to the Internet Draft
>>	<http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-ipv6-addressing
>>	-recommendations-00.txt>.
>> This policy will be regularly reviewed and modified subject to
>> operational experience."
>

>Global Crossing supports the ARIN AC's policy recommendation.

Speaking only for myself...

I have recently heard rumbles that this IPv6 allocation policy is STILL a
topic of intense discussion within the IESG/IAB -- not at all the done deal
that many of us might have assumed.

With that in mind, I would respectfully suggest that we (ARIN) consider
deferring action to give things time to sort themselves out.

Cheers,
- Scott