Large global enterprises, multi-homing, and inconsistent ann ouncements

Craig A. Huegen chuegen at cisco.com
Wed Apr 18 17:19:50 EDT 2001

Suppose I ask the question another way:

An end-user organization has the requirement to support between 5 and 15
internet access points globally, each multi-homed to between 2-4
providers, each desiring to announce that location's regional prefixes.
That end-user organization has its headquarters and most significant
presence within the ARIN constituency.

How should ARIN support these organizations?

Is it preferable that these large end-users receive larger prefixes from
the RIR that are intended to be sub-divided and announced per-region?

If no, what other methods would ARIN recommend these organizations use to
obtain the necessary v6 address space and be connected to the global
Internet?

/cah

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Bill Darte wrote:

> It is my opinion that ARIN cannot "establish global routing guidelines"
> whether for lack of support for it from the community or from expertise.  It
> is not the mandate of a RIR.  This is the proxy of the global routing
> community.  I think ARIN might be involved in publishing guidelines
> established by the routing industry through CLEW of course.
>
> Bill Darte
> AC

---