Please send me your comments

Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC) henk at ripe.net
Fri Nov 3 05:05:59 EST 2000

Philip, Cathy, others,

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Philip Smith wrote:

> At 13:18 02/11/00 -0800, CJW wrote:
> >Hi everyone out there in rtma-land,
> >
> >I think it's time I try again to get you all involved.  I'd like to
> >come up with a list of agenda topics and perhaps meet as a working group
> >at the next ARIN meeting.  So far some topics I can think of are:
> >
> >ways to summarize the routing table info:

> >    c) how many prefixes are being assigned per ASN?
>
> A study of ASNs usage/assignment/profile/depletion would be good.
  [...]
> Failing that, efforts to reclaim the ASNs assigned but unannounced?

We don't have statistics on this (yet), but we do have a tool a tool to
check if an ASN assigned is actually seen by one of our RIS
route-collectors:

  http://abcoude.ripe.net/ris/asinuse.cgi

This is a prototype with very little documentation.  It has been used by
the RIPE NCC registration service dept. for a few months to check if ASN's
are actually being used before assigning new ones.  Based on their
experience, we'll improve the tool in the near future.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: henk.uijterwaal at ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.535-4414,  Fax -4445
1016 AB Amsterdam                   Home: +31.20.4195305
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746

A man can take a train and never reach his destination.
                                               (Kerouac, well before RFC2780).